Thursday, August 20, 2009

One Prayer Service Down ... And we danced.

     Inspiration hit me in the shower as it usually does and the prayer service came together for the retreat. But as usually happens, the retreatants are the ones that really run with it and make it have a life of its own. Today was the story of outsiders and God's invitation to all to come to the feast.We shared rice cakes, pretty purple yogurt and berry rice cakes, and remembered those who were outsiders in our society today; and those we knew who needed an invitation to come and be a part of God's banquet.
     I think we tend to forget that everyone is an outsider in some way. None of us are perfect, none of us really deserve all the bounteous gifts that our God bestows on us. It is God who loves us so generously. What else can we do when we are so loved, but love in return. And who should we love--well, who does our lover love? Everyone."We are all held in that same precious love..." as Julian of Norwich says.
    Matt 22 says, in the inclusive language translation, that the good and the bad came in to the feast. Loving the good and the bad--wow, that's a tall order.
   Oh, yeah, we danced ... What else can you do at a wedding feast but dance. At least that's what they did when I was growing up ...come to think of it that was the best part of Chris' and my wedding: lots of people danced, and we did too. And today we closed our prayer with the hymn "Lord of the Dance" and every one of us held hands and danced around the circle. (Now this was no "River Dance". Some folks could barely walk, but they did their best to dance, and they did pretty well.)
     That's how I image God these days. (While trying to hold together being a mother, preacher, retreat leader and seminarian. Some days I'm clicking along and other days I wake up needing a nap.) I image God dancing ...with me ...and God reaches for me ...  and I hold on ...and try to dance....and not step on God's feet ... too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment